- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 serrano chile, minced
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 large tomatoes (about 2 pounds)—peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 2 medium cucumbers—peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 pound romaine hearts, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped mint
- 1 cup oil-cured black olives (about 1/4 pound), halved and pitted
- 1/2 cup finely chopped baked ham or Serrano ham (1/4 pound)
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and coarsely chopped
How to make this recipe
- In a small bowl, combine the vinegar with the lemon juice, garlic and chile. Whisk in the olive oil and season with salt and pepper to make a dressing.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes with the cucumbers, onion, bell peppers, romaine, parsley and mint. Add the dressing, season with salt and pepper and toss gently. Transfer the salad to a large platter and scatter the olives, ham and chopped eggs on top. Serve immediately.
A tangy white with bite and some oak will match the bold flavors of this salad. A traditional Spanish white, such as one from Rioja or Penedès is the best choice.