- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Spanakopita, a staple of Greek diners all over the U.S., is a spinach pie with a crackly phyllo crust. F&W's Grace Parisi makes her spanakopita filling with all the traditional ingredients—spinach, feta, nutmeg, onion—but rolls it inside a sheet of phyllo dough to make it easy to slice and serve.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Two 10-ounce packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 ounces Greek feta cheese, crumbled
- 5 sheets of phyllo dough, plus more in case of breakage
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a small skillet, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the onion and garlic and cook over high heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the spinach, bread crumbs, dill, oregano, lemon juice, egg, nutmeg, 1 teaspoon of kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Stir in the feta and mix well.
- Arrange one sheet of phyllo on a work surface with a long side facing you. Brush generously with some of the melted butter. Layer the remaining four sheets of phyllo on top, brushing each sheet with butter. Mound the spinach mixture along the bottom edge of the phyllo and roll as tightly as possible. Slide the log onto a parchment paper–lined baking sheet and brush with the remaining melted butter.
- Bake the spanakopita in the upper third of the oven for 30 minutes, until golden and crisp. Slide the spanakopita onto a cutting board and slice into 4 pieces. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.