- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces thickly sliced pancetta, cut into thin strips
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- One 2-pound head of green cabbage, cored and very finely shredded (10 cups)
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup mascarpone
- 1 pound spaghettini, broken in half
- In a large, deep skillet, melt the butter in the oil. Add the pancetta and cook over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until crisp and browned, about 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the pancetta to a plate.
- Add the onion to the skillet and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened and just beginning to brown, about 7 minutes. Add the cabbage, thyme and nutmeg and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is very tender and just beginning to brown, about 20 minutes. Stir in the mascarpone and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente; drain, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid. Add the pasta and cooking liquid to the cabbage and cook, stirring, until the liquid is absorbed and the pasta is coated in a lightly creamy sauce, about 1 minute. Stir in the pancetta and serve right away.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.