Spaghetti with Lemon, Chile and Creamy Spinach
- TOTAL TIME: 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
The Good News Instead of using heavy cream, this tangy, spicy dish calls for low-fat yogurt, which is packed with protein and calcium. Stirring a little flour into the yogurt prevents curdling as it simmers and creates a thick, rich and satisfying sauce for all kinds of pasta and vegetables.
More Fast Weekday Pasta Recipes
- 1/2 pound whole wheat spaghetti
- 1 1/2 cups plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red Thai chile, minced
- 10 ounces baby spinach
- Finely grated zest of 2 lemons, plus 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the spaghetti until al dente. Drain and return to the saucepan.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk the yogurt with the flour until smooth. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the garlic and chile and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the yogurt and bring to a simmer over moderate heat, stirring. Add the spinach by the handful and cook until wilted, stirring. When all of the spinach has been added, stir in the lemon zest and juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the sauce to the spaghetti and toss well to coat. Mound in bowls, sprinkle with the Parmesan and serve right away.