Spaghetti with Calabrian Chiles, Radishes and Lemon
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4 to 6
This unconventional yet incredibly delicious pasta gets a spicy kick from sweet and smoky Calabrian chiles and sliced radishes.
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 oil-packed anchovy fillets, drained and chopped
- 5 dried Calabrian chiles, stemmed—3 broken in half, 2 crumbled
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 6 radishes, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the pasta until almost al dente. Drain, reserving 1 1/2 cups of the pasta cooking water.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, combine the olive oil, anchovies and the 3 halved Calabrian chiles. Cook over moderately low heat, stirring, until the anchovies dissolve, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and radishes and cook for 1 minute. Discard the chiles.
- Add the pasta and 1 cup of the reserved pasta cooking water to the skillet, along with the 2 crumbled chiles, 2 tablespoons of the chives, 2 teaspoons of the lemon zest and the lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper and cook, tossing occasionally, until the pasta is al dente and most of the liquid is absorbed; add more of the pasta cooking water if necessary to cook it through. Stir in the 1/2 cup of grated cheese and transfer to serving bowls. Garnish with the remaining 1 tablespoon of chives and 1 teaspoon of lemon zest and serve, passing additional grated cheese at the table.
Lively, lemony Grüner Veltliner.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.