Spaghetti with Browned Butter and Crispy Bread Crumbs
- TOTAL TIME: 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
- 1 1/2 pounds spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup dried bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) unsalted butter
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons grated myzithra (see Note) or ricotta salata cheese
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the spaghetti until al dente.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the bread crumbs and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until browned, about 2 minutes. Remove the toasted bread crumbs from the heat and add the lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper and let cool. Stir in the parsley.
- In a small, heavy saucepan, melt the butter over moderate heat. Cook until foamy and dark brown, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Drain the pasta and return it to the pot. Add the browned butter and the cheeses, season with salt and pepper and toss. Transfer to a platter, sprinkle with the bread crumbs and serve with the remaining dressing on the side.
Notes Myzithra is a Greek sheep's-milk cheese that is similar in texture to a dry ricotta cheese.