Spaghetti with Anchovy Carbonara
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Chef Way Chris Cosentino adds briny flavor to his pasta with cured tuna heart. He shaves it on right before serving.
Easy Way This recipe calls for anchovies, rather than the tuna heart Cosentino uses. Egg yolks form a silky sauce.
- 12 ounces spaghetti
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- One 2-ounce can flat anchovies, drained and chopped
- Pinch of Aleppo pepper or crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon chopped oregano
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 large egg yolks
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the spaghetti until al dente. Drain the pasta, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the oil with the garlic and anchovies and cook over moderately high heat until the anchovies have dissolved, about 2 minutes. Add the red pepper, zest, oregano and parsley, then add the pasta and toss to coat. Remove from the heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk the yolks with the reserved cooking water and add to the pasta. Cook over low heat, tossing until the pasta is coated in a creamy sauce, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Citrusy, herbal Sauvignon Blanc.