- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 pounds ripe tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1 pound dried spaghetti
- Fresh basil and thyme leaves
How to make this recipe
Mash the garlic into a paste with a pinch of salt and place in a large bowl. Chop the tomatoes and add to the bowl. Stir in the oil, zest, juice, sugar (if using), 1 teaspoon salt and 3/4 teaspoon pepper. Reserve the sauce.
In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the spaghetti until al dente, then drain. Toss the pasta with the sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve the pasta sprinkled with the herbs.