- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 4 ounces prosciutto, thinly sliced
- One 28-ounce can whole tomatoes, pureed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 12 ounces spaghetti
How to make this recipe
Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over moderate heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the prosciutto and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, season with salt and pepper, and bring to a simmer. Simmer until slightly thickened and well-flavored, about 30 minutes. Stir in the cream and keep warm over low heat.
Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti in a large pot of boiling well-salted water until al dente. Drain well. Top the spaghetti with the prosciutto sauce and serve immediately.