© Todd Porter & Diane Cu
Soy-Sesame Sauce Tofu
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 2 to 4
Toasted sesame seeds and green onions give a lot of great texture to pan seared tofu, which is flavored with a savory sesame-soy sauce.
Slideshow: How to Make Tofu
- One 14 ounce (396g) package firm tofu, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed or canola oil (or other high flashpoint oil)
- 1 tablespoon grated or minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seed oil
- Toasted sesame seeds, to garnish
- Sliced green onions, to garnish
- Pat the tofu block dry with paper towels to remove excess water. Cut into 1/2-inch thick slices.
- Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add the oil and after the oil is hot, carefully add the tofu into a single layer (hot oil may splatter). Sear each side for 2-3 minutes, or until golden and crisped.
- Lower the heat to medium and carefully add the ginger, soy sauce, water, brown sugar, and sesame seed oil. Simmer for 1 minute and then serve garnished with toasted sesame seeds and green onions.