- One 2-pound flank steak
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium eggplant (about 1 1/2 pounds), cut lengthwise into 8 spears
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
- Using a small sharp knife, score the flank steak on both sides in a shallow crosshatch pattern and transfer to a shallow baking dish. In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, lime juice and ginger. Pour 2/3 cup of the soy marinade over the flank steak and turn to coat. Let stand for 10 minutes. Reserve the remaining marinade.
- Meanwhile, light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Brush 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over the cut sides of the eggplant and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the steak from the marinade and pat dry. Brush the steak with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with pepper. Grill the steak over moderately high heat, turning occasionally, about 11 minutes for medium to medium-rare meat. Simultaneously, grill the eggplant until tender and browned, 11 minutes. Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice the meat against the grain. Transfer the meat and eggplant to plates, drizzle with the reserved marinade and serve.