Soy-Braised Turkey with Turkey Rice
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 10 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced, plus 1 small shallot, quartered
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/3 cup light or low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh ginger
- 3 cups shredded dark turkey meat
- 2 1/2 cups Turkey Stock or chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked jasmine rice
- 1/4 cup rendered turkey fat
- In a small bowl, combine the sliced shallot, red wine vinegar, sugar and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Let stand, stirring occasionally, until the shallot is softened, about 1 hour.
- In a saucepan, mix the soy sauce, water, brown sugar, quartered shallot, garlic and ginger; bring to a boil. Add the dark turkey meat and cook over low heat, stirring, until the liquid is reduced by half, 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine the turkey stock with the rice, turkey fat and a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat until the rice is tender and the stock is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Cover the saucepan with a kitchen towel, then cover with the lid and let the rice steam for 20 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork. Spoon the soy-braised turkey into bowls, add the turkey rice and garnish with the pickled shallot rings.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.