- 2 cups quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 4 cups water
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 15-ounce can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- The corn of one peak-season cob (or 1 15-ounce can, drained and rinsed)
- 1 medium poblano pepper, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Crumbled queso fresco, for garnish
How to make this recipe
In a medium pot over high heat, bring the quinoa, onion, water and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt to a rolling boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to low, and simmer until the quinoa has fully absorbed the water, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside. (If serving cold, chill the quinoa in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before tossing with the other ingredients.)
In a serving bowl, toss the quinoa with the olive oil, black beans, corn, poblano, cumin, chili powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Serve as a salad or a side, and top each serving with a tablespoon of crumbled <em>queso fresco</em>.
The quinoa can be made a day ahead and refrigerated.