© Con Poulos
Sour-Orange Yucatán Chickens
- ACTIVE: 40 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 3 HR Plus overnight marinating
- SERVINGS: 8
Plus: F&W's Chicken Cooking Guide
Roast Chicken Recipes
- 20 garlic cloves, halved
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/3 cups fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup pure ancho chile powder
- 2 tablespoons hot paprika
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Two 3 1/2-pound chickens
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon honey
- In a food processor, mince the garlic with the vegetable oil. Add the orange and lemon juices, chile powder, paprika, salt and cumin and blend well.
- Loosen the skin on the chicken breasts and around the legs. Put each chicken in a bowl and cover with the marinade. Rub the marinade under the skin and in the cavity. Turn the chickens breast side up and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Set the chickens breast side up in a large roasting pan and season with salt. Add the marinade to the pan, along with 1 cup of water. Bake for 1 hour. Spoon 1/4 cup of the pan juices into a small bowl and stir in 3 tablespoons of the honey; pour over the chickens and bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the inner thighs registers 160°.
- Drain the cavity juices into the roasting pan. Transfer the chickens to a carving board to rest for 10 minutes. Pour the pan juices into a saucepan. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of honey, bring to a boil and season with salt. Carve the chickens and serve with the sauce.
Serve with a zesty California Sauvignon Blanc.