- 2 ounces cellophane noodles
- 2 quarts fish stock
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Asian pickled mustard greens, drained and chopped, plus 1/4 cup of the pickling liquid
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce, plus more for serving
- 1 1/4 pounds shredded napa cabbage
- 5 ounces enoki mushrooms
- 1 1/2 pounds red snapper fillets with skin, cut crosswise into 24 slices
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
How to make this recipe
Using scissors, cut the cellophane noodles into 3-inch lengths. In a heatproof bowl, cover the noodles with very hot tap water and let stand until clear and pliable, about 5 minutes; drain.
In a large saucepan, bring the stock, scallions, mustard-green pickling liquid, ginger and 1 tablespoon each of rice vinegar and fish sauce to a boil. Simmer over moderately low heat for 15 minutes.
Add the cabbage and simmer over moderate heat for 10 minutes. Add the enoki mushrooms and cellophane noodles and simmer for 3 minutes.
Add the fish to the soup and simmer until barely cooked through, about 2 minutes. Add the cilantro, pickled mustard greens and the remaining 1 tablespoon each of rice vinegar and fish sauce. Serve, passing additional fish sauce and vinegar at the table.
A bubbly California wine will blend with the flavors in the hors doeuvres and soup here.