Sour Cream Berry Muffins
- SERVINGS: Makes 8 large muffins
Beth Hensperger developed these cakey, ginger-laced muffins with frozen berries specifically in mind.
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cups sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups unsweetened frozen blueberries, raspberries or blackberries (from a 12-ounce package)
- 3 tablespoons minced crystallized ginger
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Coat 8 large muffin cups (3 1/4-inch diameter) with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, beat the butter with 1/2 cup of the sugar until fluffy. Beat in the sour cream and eggs. Add the dry ingredients and stir just until evenly moistened; do not overmix. The batter will be very thick.
- Spoon 3 tablespoons of the batter into each of the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle with half of the frozen berries and crystallized ginger. Spoon another 3 tablespoons of batter on top and sprinkle with the remaining berries. Top with the remaining batter and sprinkle the muffins with the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar and the remaining ginger.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for about 35 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown and springy to the touch and a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes before turning out. Serve warm.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.