Sour Cherry-Yuzu Bellinis
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 10 drinks
Jean-Georges Vongerichten served this effervescent sour-cherry cocktail for his guests at the pig roast. He added yuzu juice (from the bumpy-skinned Japanese citrus fruit) for a citrus kick; a mix of tangerine and lime juices nearly matches yuzu's flavor.
- 1/2 pound pitted fresh or frozen sour cherries (2 cups)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons fresh yuzu juice or 2 tablespoons each of fresh tangerine and lime juices
- One 750-milliliter bottle plus 2 cups chilled brut Champagne
- Puree the cherries in a food processor. Pass the puree through a fine strainer set over a small saucepan, pressing on the solids; you should have 1/2 cup of juice. Stir in the sugar and bring to a simmer over moderate heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Transfer to a small bowl and refrigerate until chilled, about 15 minutes.
- In a large pitcher, combine the sweetened cherry juice with the yuzu juice. Slowly pour in the Champagne. Serve the Bellinis over ice.