Sour Cherry Pancakes
- SERVINGS: makes twelve 3-inch pancakes
- 1/2 cup dried sour cherries (about 3 ounces)
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons clarified unsalted butter (see Note)
- In a small nonreactive saucepan, simmer the dried cherries in the wine over moderate heat until plumped, about 15 minutes. Drain the cherries and reserve the wine for another use.
- In a large bowl, whisk the whole eggs with the oil, flour, salt, pepper, baking powder and 1/4 cup of water. Transfer to a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Return the batter to the bowl. In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites until they hold stiff peaks. Using a spatula, fold them into the batter.
- In a large heavy skillet, heat 2 teaspoons of the clarified butter. Gently stir the batter. Then make 3 pancakes using about 3 tablespoons of batter for each. Sprinkle about 8 cherries on each pancake and cook over moderately high heat until golden on the bottom, about 2 minutes. Turn the pancakes and cook on the second side for 1 minute. Transfer the pancakes to a baking sheet and keep warm. Repeat with the remaining butter and batter.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.