- 1 pound sour cherries, stemmed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- Strips of zest from 1/2 lemon
- Strips of zest from 1/2 orange
- 2 cups gin
- 2/3 cup Cointreau
- 2/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 1/4 cups sour-cherry syrup
- Angostura bitters
- Sparkling water
- Lime wheels and fresh cherries, for garnish
- Make the gin slings: In a large saucepan, combine the cherries with the sugar, water and citrus zests and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat for 40 minutes. Pass the mixture through a fine strainer, pressing on the solids; you should have 2 1/2 cups. Let cool.
- Make the gin slings: In a pitcher, combine the gin with the Cointreau, lime juice, sour-cherry syrup and a few dashes of bitters and stir well. Pour into ice-filled glasses and top each drink with sparkling water. Garnish with the lime wheels and fresh cherries and serve.
The sour-cherry syrup can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.