- 1 tablespoon Chinese cooking wine, dry white wine or dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 egg white
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1/4 -inch dice
- 6 dried black or shiitake mushrooms
- 3 cups hot water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chinese cooking wine, dry white wine or dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 pound white mushrooms, quartered
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon cold water
- Freshly ground black or white pepper
How to make this recipe
In a medium bowl, combine the wine, cornstarch, egg white and salt. Add the chicken and turn to coat thoroughly. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes.
In a small bowl, cover the dried mushrooms with 1 cup of the hot water and let soak until softened, about 30 minutes. Discard the mushroom stems and quarter the caps; reserve the soaking liquid.
In another bowl, combine the remaining 2 cups of hot water with the soy sauce, wine, sugar and salt.
Set a large wok over high heat. Add the peanut oil and when it is very hot, add the chicken and stir-fry until it turns opaque, about 30 seconds. Transfer the chicken to a plate with a slotted spoon.
Add the garlic to the wok and stir-fry for 25 seconds, then add the fresh mushrooms and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the dried mushrooms, the green pepper and the chicken and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Pour in the reserved mushroom soaking liquid, stopping when you reach the grit at the bottom. Add the soy sauce mixture and bring to a boil, then add the sesame oil and the cornstarch mixture and simmer until slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Transfer to a serving bowl, season with pepper and serve immediately.
The chicken can be prepared through Step 1 and refrigerated for up to 8 hours. Bring to room temperature before cooking.
The bell peppers and mushrooms are clues that Bordeaux and similar reds will work here.