- 8 medium tomatoes (3 1/2 pounds), cut into 6 wedges each
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 thyme sprigs
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 8 slices of sourdough bread, cut from a round loaf
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 8 ounces sliced soppressata
- 6 ounces chilled Camembert cheese, thinly sliced
- 4 cups torn frisée
How to make this recipe
Make the tomato jam
Preheat the oven to 325°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Combine all of the ingredients on the foil and toss to coat the tomato wedges. Bake for about 3 hours, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes are deeply caramelized. Discard the thyme and garlic and let cool.
Make the sandwiches
Arrange the bread on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Toast until golden, about 8 minutes. Spread some of the tomato jam on half of the toasts and top with the soppressata, cheese and frisée. Close the sandwiches and serve.
The tomato jam can be refrigerated for 1 week.
A tangy Belgian ale or sour is great with these summery sandwiches.