- Four 1/2-inch-thick slices of country boule, toasted
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, plus softened butter for brushing
- 1 large tomato, cut into 8 thin slices
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 medium to large soft-shell crabs, cleaned and patted dry
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped tarragon
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
How to make this recipe
Brush the toast with softened butter and transfer to 4 plates. Arrange two slices of tomato on each slice of bread and season with salt and pepper.
Spread the flour in a shallow bowl and season generously with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, melt the 1/2 stick of butter. Dredge 4 of the crabs in the flour and add to the skillet. Cook over moderately high heat until browned on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Flip the crabs and cook until browned and crisp, about 3 minutes longer. Stack 2 crabs on each toast. Repeat with the remaining crabs.
Add the shallot to the skillet and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 1 minute. Stir in the remaining ingredients and season with salt and pepper. Spoon the sauce over the crabs and serve right away.