- 6 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Kosher salt
- 4 ounces smoked sablefish, sliced 1/4 inch thick (see Note)
- Trout roe (see Note), thinly sliced scallions and sour cream, for garnish
- Toasted sesame, everything or plain bagels, for serving
How to make this recipe
- In a medium nonstick skillet, combine the beaten eggs with the heavy cream and 1/2 tablespoon of the butter. Cook the eggs over moderately low heat, whisking them constantly, until small curds form and the eggs are creamy, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat.
- Gently stir the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of butter into the eggs and season them lightly with salt. Spoon the eggs into 2 serving bowls and top with the sliced sablefish. Garnish with trout roe, sliced scallions and a dollop of sour cream. Serve right away with toasted bagels.
If smoked sablefish and trout roe are unavailable, smoked salmon and salmon roe can be substituted.
Fragrant, vivid Chardonnay-based Champagne: NV Pierre Moncuit Hugues de Coulmet Blanc de Blancs Brut.