- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus softened buttered for spreading
- Four 1/2-inch-thick slices of sourdough or rustic loaf
- 8 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives, plus more for garnish
- Finely grated bottarga, for serving (See Note)
How to make this recipe
- Heat a large nonstick skillet. Generously butter both sides of the bread slices. Add 2 slices of bread to the skillet and toast over moderately high heat, turning once, until golden and crisp on the edges, about 3 minutes total. Transfer to plates. Repeat with the remaining bread.
- Wipe out the skillet and melt the 4 tablespoons of butter in it. In a large bowl, beat the eggs with a generous pinch each of salt and pepper, then stir in the 2 tablespoons of chives. Add the eggs to the skillet and cook over moderately low heat, stirring constantly, until small curds form and the eggs are creamy, about 7 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and season the eggs with salt and pepper.
- To serve, spoon the eggs onto the toasts and generously top with finely grated bottarga and finely chopped chives.