- One 10-ounce head of cauliflower—leaves removed, head cut into slabs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound yellow tomatoes, cored and finely chopped (3 cups)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 4 large eggs
- Marjoram leaves and herb flowers (optional), for garnish
- Crusty bread, for serving
How to make this recipe
- In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the cauliflower until crisp-tender, 3 minutes. Drain and pat dry. Transfer to a bowl and toss with the flour, tapping off the excess.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the cauliflower and cook over moderately high heat, turning, until browned. Add the tomatoes, crushed red pepper and lemon zest to the skillet and season with salt. Cook over moderate heat until the tomatoes have broken down, 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast the almonds in a small, dry skillet over moderate heat, stirring, until lightly browned, 5 minutes. Let cool.
- Using a spoon, make 4 wells in the tomato sauce. Crack the eggs into the wells, cover and cook over moderately low heat until the eggs are just set, 3 minutes. Garnish the eggs with the almonds, marjoram leaves and flowers and serve right away with crusty bread.
This dish goes with a full-bodied, fruity white. Pour a Pinot Gris from Oregon's Willamette Valley.