- 2 tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- 1 medium tomato
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1 serrano chile, stemmed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large dried chipotle chiles, stemmed and seeded
- Hot water
- 1 cup lightly packed cilantro
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Kosher salt
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 500°. On a baking sheet, toss the tomatillos, tomato, onion and serrano with the oil. Roast for 10 minutes, until the vegetables are browned in spots and softened slightly. Let cool, then chop.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, cover the chipotles with hot water and let stand until softened, 15 minutes. Transfer the chiles and 1/4 cup of their liquid to a food processor and puree.
- Add the chopped vegetables to the processor and pulse until the salsa is nearly smooth. Add the cilantro and lime juice and pulse until the cilantro is minced. Season the salsa with salt, transfer to a bowl and serve.