© Quentin Bacon
Smoky Steak Sauce
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes about 2 1/2 cups
When grilling a meal, chef Robert Del Grande of Cafe Annie and Bar Annie in Houston threads ingredients for sauces onto skewers to cook alongside the meat. While the meat rests, he purees the sauce ingredients in a blender.
- 2 thick slices of bacon, halved crosswise and rolled into cylinders
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 portobello mushroom, stemmed and cap quartered
- 2 plum tomatoes, cored and halved lengthwise
- 4 pitted prunes
- 4 peeled garlic cloves
- 1 large supple ancho chile, seeded and quartered
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- Thread the ingredients onto skewers. Brush the kebabs with oil and grill over high heat, turning occasionally, until the vegetables are charred in spots, about 15 minutes; let cool slightly. Remove the ingredients from the skewers and transfer them to a blender.
- Add the wine vinegar, light brown sugar, and water and puree until smooth. Season with salt.
Make Ahead The sauce can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Serve With Grilled steak.