Smoky Spiced T-Bone Steaks with Chilean Salsa
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 4
- Four 1-inch-thick T-bone steaks
- 4 teaspoons pure chipotle powder
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 large beefsteak tomato, cut into 1/4-inch dice, with seeds and juices
- 1 small green bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 small sweet onion, finely diced
- 1 large jalapeño, seeded and very finely chopped
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro leaves
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- Light a grill. Sprinkle each steak with 1 teaspoon of chipotle powder; season with salt and pepper. Let stand for at least 5 minutes and up to 20 minutes.
- In a bowl, mash the garlic with a pinch of salt. Add the tomato, pepper, onion, jalapeño and cilantro; do not stir.
- Lightly brush both sides of the steaks with olive oil and grill over high heat until well-browned and medium-rare within, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer the steaks to plates and let rest for 5 minutes. Stir the salsa and season with salt and pepper. Serve the steaks with the salsa.
These spicy T-bones need a powerful red. Chile's flagship red grape, Carmenère, has a spicy intensity that only improves the match.