- 3/4 cup quick-cooking grits
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ounces sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded (3/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 cups baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup snipped chives
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 pound shelled and deveined medium shrimp
- 1/2 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
How to make this recipe
- In a medium saucepan, bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Gradually add the grits and a generous pinch of salt. Cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the grits are thick and porridge-like, about 7 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper and stir in the cheddar cheese, baby spinach and chives; stir until the cheese is melted and the spinach is wilted. Cover the grits and keep warm.
- In a large skillet, heat the canola oil with the garlic over high heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the shrimp and paprika, season with salt and black pepper and cook until the shrimp are opaque, about 2 minutes. Add the white wine and cook until the shrimp are white throughout and the garlic-paprika sauce is slightly reduced.
- Spoon the grits into bowls, top with the shrimp and sauce; serve.
Creamy grain-based dishes taste great with silky, full-bodied Chardonnays.