- 3 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 3/4 cup quick grits
- 1/4 pound white cheddar cheese, shredded (1 cup)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 pound slab bacon, cut into 1/4-inch matchsticks
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound shelled and deveined large shrimp
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
How to make this recipe
In a medium saucepan, bring the stock to a boil. Whisk in the grits and cook over moderately high heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and the grains are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the cheese and butter, season with salt and pepper and whisk just until the cheese is melted. Cover and remove from the heat.
In a large, deep skillet, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the bacon and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until the fat is rendered and the bacon is golden, about 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
Pour off all but 4 tablespoons of the fat in the skillet. Add the garlic and cook over moderately high heat just until fragrant. Add the shrimp and cook until curled and pink, about 3 minutes. Stir in the parsley and bacon; season with salt and pepper.
Spoon the warm, cheesy grits into shallow bowls and top with the shrimp and bacon. Serve right away.
A rich Chardonnay with a smoky note, such as one from Napa Valley.