Smoky Seafood Cocktails
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN Plus 4 hr chilling
- SERVINGS: 12
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 8 cups water
- 1 lemon, plus 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 3/4 pounds shelled and deveined large shrimp
- 1 1/2 pounds jumbo sea scallops, halved horizontally
- 1 cup bottled chile sauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hot pimentón de la Vera (smoked paprika)
- 24 stone crab claws, cracked and chilled (see Note)
- In a large pot, combine the garlic cloves with the coriander and fennel seeds, crushed red pepper, salt and water. Using a vegetable peeler, remove the zest from the lemon and add to the pot. Halve the lemon, squeeze it into the pot and add the halves. Bring the liquid to a boil and then simmer over low heat for 15 minutes. Add the shrimp and scallops and simmer just until white throughout, about 5 minutes. Drain the shrimp and scallops well and transfer them to a large plate. Leave the aromatics on the seafood. Cover and refrigerate the seafood until chilled, at least 4 hours or overnight.
- In a small bowl, whisk the chile sauce with the prepared horseradish, smoked paprika and the 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Spoon the smoky cocktail sauce into a small serving bowl.
- Pick any aromatics off the shrimp and scallops and arrange the seafood on the platter or in individual glasses with the crab claws. Serve with the cocktail sauce.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.