- 2 pounds tomatoes, halved crosswise
- Four 1-inch-thick slices of white bread, such as ciabatta, crusts removed and bread cubed (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated garlic
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup smoked olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Kosher salt
- 4 seedless green grapes, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon roasted almonds, chopped
How to make this recipe
- Using a box grater, coarsely grate the cut sides of the tomato halves over a medium bowl until all that remains are the tomato skins; discard the skins. Add the bread cubes and toss with the tomatoes. Transfer the tomato mixture to a food processor and let stand for 15 minutes until the bread is soft.
- Pulse the tomato mixture with the grated garlic and vinegar until smooth. With the machine on, gradually add in the 1/4 cup of smoked olive oil.
- Strain the salmorejo through a fine sieve into a large bowl and season with salt. Cover and refrigerate until very cold, at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Serve the soup in bowls and garnish with the grapes, almonds and a drizzle of smoked olive oil.