- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water
- Pinch of kosher or sea salt
- 8 pieces of bacon
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon spicy brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
How to make this recipe
Combine the quinoa, water and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring the water to a boil, and after the water begins to boil, reduce the heat to low and cover the pan.
Gently simmer, covered, for 15 minutes (there may still be some water not yet absorbed). Remove from heat.
Keeping the pan covered, let it stand for 5 minutes, or until the remaining water is absorbed. Remove the lid and gently fluff the quinoa. Set aside to cool.
Crisp the bacon, drain and cut into 1-inch pieces. Set aside.
In a bowl, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, mustard, brown sugar, smoked paprika, chipotle, salt and pepper. Set aside.
In a large bowl, toss together the cooked quinoa, bacon pieces, red onion and parsley. Toss with the dressing and serve at room temperature or chilled.