Smoky Quinoa and Bacon Salad
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
This earthy and smoky-spiced quinoa recipe is loaded with bacon and makes the perfect accompaniment to barbeque or grilled dishes.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water
- Pinch of kosher or sea salt
- 8 pieces of bacon
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon spicy brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- Combine the quinoa, water and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring the water to a boil, and after the water begins to boil, reduce the heat to low and cover the pan.
- Gently simmer, covered, for 15 minutes (there may still be some water not yet absorbed). Remove from heat.
- Keeping the pan covered, let it stand for 5 minutes, or until the remaining water is absorbed. Remove the lid and gently fluff the quinoa. Set aside to cool.
- Crisp the bacon, drain and cut into 1-inch pieces. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, mustard, brown sugar, smoked paprika, chipotle, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss together the cooked quinoa, bacon pieces, red onion and parsley. Toss with the dressing and serve at room temperature or chilled.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.