Smoky Pork and Black Bean Stew
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 50 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Melissa Rubel Jacobson's ingenious stew is richly flavored with four takes on pork: pancetta, andouille sausage, chorizo and Canadian bacon.
Plus: F&W's Pork Cooking Guide
More Hearty Stews
- 3 ounces thinly sliced pancetta, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 6 ounces andouille sausage, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 4 ounces smoked chorizo, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Two 15-ounce cans black beans, with their liquid
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 2 ounces Canadian bacon, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a large saucepan, cook the pancetta over moderately high heat, stirring a few times, until it begins to brown around the edges, about 2 minutes. Stir in the andouille and chorizo and cook over moderate heat until the chorizo is browned, about 4 minutes.
- Spoon off all but 2 1/2 tablespoons of the fat from the skillet. Stir in the onion and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the black beans, chicken stock, Canadian bacon and bay leaf and stir well. Bring to a simmer and cook over low heat until the liquid has thickened, about 20 minutes. Stir in the red wine vinegar and season lightly with salt and pepper. Ladle the stew into bowls and serve.
Serve WithSteamed white rice.