- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons popping corn
- 1 teaspoon smoked hot Spanish paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and kept warm
- 1/2 cup Japanese furikake mix (see Note)
- 2 cups Japanese mixed rice crackers
- Kosher salt
How to make this recipe
- In a large saucepan, combine the oil and popcorn, cover and cook over moderate heat until it starts to pop. Shake the pan and cook until the corn stops popping.
- Transfer the hot popcorn to a large bowl. Sprinkle with the paprika and sugar and toss well. Drizzle with the butter and toss, adding the furikake and rice crackers. Season with salt, toss again and serve.
Furikake is a seasoning mix that includes seaweed, sesame seeds, sugar, salt and dried bonito (dried fish flakes).