- 2 large pasilla de Oaxaca chiles (1/2 ounces)—stemmed, seeded and wiped clean
- 2 large black pasilla chiles (1/2 ounces)—stemmed, seeded and wiped clean
- 1/2 pound tomatillos—husked, rinsed and quartered
- 1/2 cup finely chopped white onion
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- Kosher salt
How to make this recipe
In a medium skillet, toast the chiles over moderate heat, turning occasionally, until pliable and blistered in spots, about
1 minute. Add the tomatillos, onion, garlic, brown sugar and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Cover partially and simmer over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are very soft, about 20 minutes.
Transfer the mixture to a blender and let cool slightly, then puree until smooth. Strain the sauce through a fine sieve and season with salt. Serve warm.
The sauce can be refrigerated for up to 5 days.