© Todd Porter & Diane Cu
Smoky Guacamole with Charred Shallots
- TOTAL TIME: 15 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4 to 6
This untraditional guacamole recipe gets a little smoky flavor from smoked paprika and chipotle.
- 3 medium shallots, peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3 large ripe Hass avocados, halved and pitted
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher or sea salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and diced
- Heat a skillet over high heat. Add the oil and then add the shallots. Cook until soft and marginally charred, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- With the tip of a knife, cut each avocado half into a 1/2-inch grid, being careful not to cut through the skin. Scoop out the avocado into a bowl. Mash the avocado with a fork until it is nearly at your desired consistency.
- Stir in the charred shallots, lime juice, paprika, chipotle, salt, and pepper.
- Gently fold in the tomatoes. Serve immediately or else press a piece of plastic wrap flush into the top of the guacamole, refrigerate, and serve preferably within 24 hours.