- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium jalapeño, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 kaiser or hard rolls, trimmed and halved
- Vegetable oil
- 10 ounces smoked mozzarella, cut into 16 thin slices
- 1 pound roast pork, cut into 16 slices
How to make this recipe
- In a bowl, combine the onion, jalapeño, bell pepper, cilantro, olive oil, lemon juice and lemon zest and season with salt and pepper. Spread 2 tablespoons of the fresh onion relish on each kaiser roll half.
- Set a large skillet over moderate heat and coat with a thin layer of vegetable oil. Place 2 roll halves in the skillet, relish side up, and top each with 2 mozzarella slices, 4 pork slices and 2 more mozzarella slices. Reduce the heat to low and cover each sandwich with another roll half, relish side down. Weight down the sandwiches with a medium skillet and cook until the bottoms are toasted and the bottom layer of cheese has melted, about 4 minutes. Turn the sandwiches, add a little more oil to the skillet and brown the second sides, about 4 minutes. Transfer to plates and repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 2 more sandwiches.
The cranked-up flavors in this sandwichsmoky cheese, roast pork, onion and cilantrocall for a simple fruity-but-dry rosé or blush wine to play background. Top choices: De Loach White Zinfandel and the Sanford Pinot Noir Vin Gris, both from California.