Smoky Citrus Shrimp with Parsley
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Grub co-author Bryant Terry eats these tangy, garlicky shrimp piled high on crispy toasts, but sometimes he sandwiches them inside a quesadilla oozing with shredded Jack cheese. He recommends buying wild-caught or sustainably raised shrimp from the United States or Canada, where environmental standards are stricter than in places like Latin America and Southeast Asia. For more information on sustainable sources of shrimp, take a look at the Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch (seafoodwatch.org).
- 2 pounds large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 3/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, very finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, minced
- Lightly toasted baguette slices, for serving
- In a medium bowl, toss the shrimp with the chipotle powder and 1 teaspoon of kosher salt. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the shrimp and cook over high heat, stirring frequently, until they begin to turn pink but are still raw in the center, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the shrimp to a plate.
- Reduce the heat to moderately high. Add the garlic to the skillet and cook until lightly golden, about 1 minute. Add the orange, lemon and lime juices and boil until slightly thickened, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the skillet, about 2 minutes.
- Return the shrimp to the pan and toss to coat with the sauce. Cook until the shrimp are white throughout, about 1 minute. Stir in the parsley and season with salt. Transfer to bowls and serve with baguette toasts.
Oregon wineries have been at the forefront of sustainable grape-growing in America. Look for a rich, slightly herbal white wine that will balance well with the tanginess of the citrus, garlic and parsley sauce in this shrimp dish, including Pinot Blanc or blends with Müller-Thurgau, Riesling and Sémillon.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.