Smoky Butternut Squash Soup
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 8
This creamy soup gets a little smoky heat from canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, but then gets cooled down with a swirl of crème fraîche.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- One 3-pound butternut squash, peeled and diced (8 cups)
- 1 small canned chipotle in adobo, chopped
- 7 cups chicken or turkey stock or low-sodium broth
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup crème fraîche
- 1/4 cup finely chopped chives, plus more for garnish
- In a large pot, melt the butter. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat until softened. Stir in the squash and chipotle and cook for 1 minute. Add the stock and honey and bring to a boil. Simmer until the squash is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Puree the soup until smooth; season with salt.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, stir the crème fraîche with the 1/4 cup of chives. Microwave until just melted, 30 seconds. Serve the soup with a swirl of chive cream and a sprinkling of chives.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.