Smokin' Sweet Chicken Wings with Cherry Barbecue Glaze
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Cherry preserves with habanero chile create a fabulously sticky, sweet and spicy glaze for grilled chicken wings. Glaze them just before serving so the sugars don’t burn.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, such as Vidalia, finely chopped
- 1 large habanero chile, seeded and minced
- 3/4 cup cherry preserves, preferably sour cherry
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 1/2 pounds chicken wings, tips discarded and wings split
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Add the chopped sweet onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened and lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add three-fourths of the minced habanero chile and cook for 1 minute, just until softened. Scrape the onion and habanero into a blender, add the cherry preserves and lime juice and puree until smooth. Return the cherry glaze to the saucepan and bring it to a boil over moderately high heat. Stir in the remaining minced habanero chile and season the glaze with salt and black pepper. Transfer the glaze to a small bowl.
- Light a grill or preheat a broiler and position a rack 8 inches from the heat source. Season the chicken wings all over with salt and black pepper and grill over moderately high heat, turning occasionally, until lightly charred and crispy, about 20 minutes. Alternatively, broil the wings for about 20 minutes, turning occasionally, until they are crispy.
- Transfer the chicken wings to a large bowl and toss with one-third of the cherry glaze. Return the wings to the grill or broiler and cook, turning once, just until sticky and caramelized, about 2 minutes. Return the chicken wings to the bowl and toss with another one-third of the cherry glaze. Transfer the glazed chicken wings to a serving platter and serve with the remaining glaze on the side.
Fresh, berry-rich Syrah from Washington state.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.