- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives, plus 1-inch lengths, for garnish
- 1 tablespoon chopped drained capers
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 5 English muffins—split, toasted and buttered
- 1/2 pound skinless smoked trout fillet, coarsely chopped
- In a bowl, combine the cream cheese, shallot, chopped chives, capers and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the English muffins with the caper cream cheese. Top with the smoked trout, garnish with the chive pieces and serve.
Sparkling wine is a good choice for smoked fish like salmon, or the trout on these creamy toasts. Choose a wine with some richness to it, or the NV Chandon Extra-Dry Riche, which is a bit sweet.