- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish, drained
- 3 tablespoons snipped chives
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- One 5-ounce bunch of baby arugula, thick stems discarded
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, cut into thin matchsticks
- 1 whole smoked trout (about 10 ounces)—boned, skinned and flesh flaked (5 ounces)
How to make this recipe
- 1. In a small bowl, whisk the buttermilk with the mayonnaise, horseradish, chives and olive oil; season with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, toss the arugula and apple with two-thirds of the dressing and transfer to a large platter. Add the trout to the bowl and toss with the remaining dressing; season with pepper. Mound the trout on the arugula and serve.
A fruity German Riesling with hints of green apple and vibrant acidity will contrast with the delicate smoky flavors of the trout here.