Smoked Salmon Sandwiches with Curried Almonds
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup sliced unblanched almonds
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Eight 1-ounce slices whole-grain bread
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced smoked salmon
- 4 medium radishes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 Granny Smith apple—quartered, cored and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet. Add the almonds and cook over moderate heat, tossing, until golden, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle the curry powder over the almonds and toss to coat. Cook, stirring, until the almonds are fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl and let cool. Stir in the yogurt and season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the almond mixture on half the bread slices. Top with the smoked salmon, radishes and apple slices. Close the sandwiches and serve, or wrap them in wax paper for packing.
One Serving 412 calories, 18.8 gm total fat, 2.3 gm saturated fat, 47 gm carb.
Pita Variation: Slice 1 inch off four 5-inch whole-wheat pitas. Spread the smoked salmon on the bottom, then layer almonds and sliced radishes on top. Poke the apple slices into the sandwiches and serve or wrap.