Smoked Salmon Involtini
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: makes 24 rolls
- 1 small carrot, cut into julienne
- 1/2 medium fennel bulb—halved, cored and cut into julienne
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon chipotle hot sauce or adobo sauce from canned chipotles
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 14 ounces thinly sliced smoked salmon
- In a bowl, toss the carrot, fennel and shallot with the lemon juice; season with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, blend the mayonnaise with the hot sauce and lemon zest; season with salt.
- Cut the salmon into 12 pieces, each about 3 1/2-by-3 inches. Spoon the vegetable salad across one end of each piece of salmon (some of the salad can stick out of each end). Tightly roll the salmon around the salad. Cut each roll in half crosswise and transfer to a platter, cut side down. Top each roll with a dollop of the chipotle mayonnaise and serve.