- 3 medium scallions, white and tender green parts only
- 2 medium garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and quartered lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 Hass avocados, halved and pitted
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons jalapeño hot sauce
- 2 pounds smoked salmon
- Mini toasts
Preheat a grill pan. In a small bowl, toss the scallions, garlic and jalapeño with the vegetable oil. Grill over moderately high heat, turning occasionally, until charred all over, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a work surface and let cool.
Finely chop the scallions and jalapeño and transfer to a medium bowl. Peel the garlic cloves, mash them to a paste and add them to the bowl. Scoop the avocado flesh into the bowl and coarsely mash with a fork. Fold the cilantro and lime juice into the guacamole, season with salt and pepper.
Fold the guacamole with the cream cheese and jalapeño hot sauce; season with salt and pepper. Overlap the smoked salmon slices in pairs. Trim each pair to a 4-by-6-inch rectangle. Pipe a 1-inch thick strip of the guacamole–cream cheese mixture along one of the 4-inch sides of each pair. Roll the smoked salmon into cylinders, transfer to a tray and freeze for 15 minutes or until firm. Cut into 4 pieces; serve on mini toasts.