© Tina Rupp
Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese Crêpes
- ACTIVE: 45 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
Austin's Flip Happy food truck uses giant crêpes like tortillas, filling them with savory stuffings like juicy pulled pork and caramelized onions or smoked salmon and tangy cream cheese blended with lemon, dill and capers.
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 1/4 cup capers, rinsed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced dill
- 1/4 teaspoon Asian fish sauce
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups baby spinach (3 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 pound sliced smoked salmon
- 2 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- In a bowl, whisk the milk with the water, melted butter and eggs. Mix the flour and salt in another bowl. Whisk the milk mixture into the flour. Strain the batter into a measuring cup and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- In a bowl, blend the cream cheese with the butter, lemon zest, shallot, capers, dill and fish sauce and season with pepper.
- Spray a 12-inch nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Heat the skillet over moderate heat. Pour 1/3 cup of the crêpe batter into the skillet and swirl the pan to coat it evenly. Cook the crêpe until lightly golden on the bottom, about 1 minute. Flip the crêpe and cook for about 30 seconds longer. Transfer the crêpe to a plate and repeat with the remaining batter.
- In a medium bowl, toss the spinach with the olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Fold each crêpe in half. Spread about 2 tablespoons of the cream cheese mixture vertically down the center of each crêpe. Lay the salmon over the cream cheese. Top with the spinach salad and tomatoes and season with pepper. Fold one side of the crêpe over the filling, roll to close and serve.