Smoked Pork Sausage with Hard-Cider Sauce
- ACTIVE: 1 HR
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Midwestern chef Jack Riebel is taking the homey foods of his childhood and modernizing them with spices and progressive techniques.
- 1 dried chipotle chile
- 2 Granny Smith apples, halved and cored, plus 1/2 apple cut into matchsticks, for garnish (optional)
- 2 ounces rye bread, crusts removed and bread torn into bite-size pieces (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup hard cider
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- Kosher salt
- Four 4-ounce smoked pork sausages or cheddar wursts
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound broccoli, cut into 1-inch florets
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- Preheat the oven to 325°. In a bowl, cover the chipotle with hot water and let stand until softened, 30 minutes. Bake the halved apples cut side down on a rimmed baking sheet for 30 minutes, until tender. Let cool. Scoop the apple pulp into a food processor and discard the skins. Stem, seed and chop the chipotle; add it to the food processor and puree.
- Meanwhile, spread the bread in a pie plate and bake the pieces for about 10 minutes, until golden.
- In a saucepan, boil the hard cider with the vinegar, sugar and apple puree. Simmer, stirring, until reduced to 3/4 cup, 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and season with salt.
- Light a grill. Grill the sausages over moderate heat, turning, until lightly charred on both sides and cooked through, 12 minutes. Transfer to a plate and tent with foil.
- In a skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the broccoli and season with salt. Cover and cook until browned, 2 minutes. Stir in the mustard, caraway, cider sauce and 1/2 cup of water and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat, stir in the butter and season with salt. Serve the sausages with the broccoli and sauce, garnishing with the bread crumbs and apple matchsticks.
Spicy, hoppy ale.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.