- 2 long, thin Idaho potatoes, cut into 1/8 inch-thick slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup shredded Gruyère cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 1/2 pound lean smoked ham, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 scallion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cornichons
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped capers
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped tarragon
- 2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Preheat the oven to 350° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. Using a 2-inch round biscuit cutter, cut the potato slices into rounds. In a bowl, toss the potatoes with the olive oil and arrange them in a single layer on the baking sheet. Season lightly with salt and pepper, then sprinkle with the cheese. Bake the potato rounds for about 45 minutes, or until deep golden; let cool. Transfer the potato coins to paper towels.
In a small bowl, combine the ham with the mayonnaise, scallion, cornichons, capers, tarragon and mustard. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon the ham salad onto the potato coins and serve.