- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 pound smoked Gouda cheese, coarsely shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika (optional)
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Add the flour and whisk over moderately high heat for 30 seconds. Add the milk and bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Cook over moderate heat, whisking constantly, until thickened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the cream, smoked Gouda, paprika and nutmeg and whisk just until the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Use right away or cover directly with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
Master Sauce recipes adapted from Get Saucy, by Grace Parisi, copyright ©2005, with permission from Harvard Common Press, 535 Albany St., Boston, MA 02118.